It’s always bothered me seeing recipes that people call “healthy.” That is such a subjective term. I won’t go as far as to say that this cornbread recipe is “healthy” but I did change up my southern great grandmother’s recipe and lightened it up and added some protein. And it turned out pretty durn good. Note: this is a sweet cornbread, not a regular one! I know everyone has their own preferences (I don’t discriminate. I heart cornbread in all of its delicious forms.)
- 1 AdvoCare Vanilla Meal Replacement Shake
- 1.5 cups white self-rising corn meal
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Pour some grapeseed oil into a cast iron skillet or muffin pan. Place in a cold oven and then preheat to 400 degrees. (Note: If you’re not using cast iron, it won’t get that delicious crunchy outside. But, if you still refuse to get one, skip the whole add-it-to-the-oven-before-preheating part.)
- Mix all ingredients. When the oven is preheated, give it 5 more minutes and then pour batter into the skillet or pan. It should sizzle. Like fajitas at a Mexican restaurant. Or like bacon. Whichever you prefer.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (my muffins were done in 10).