Prepare kidney beans:
Place 1 lb of dry red kidney beans in a slow cooker (rinse them first). Add 6 cups of water and cook on high 4-6 hours.
4-6 hours later…
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 each red, yellow, green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 T minced garlic
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t thyme
- 1 t sage
- 1 t Tony Chachere’s or another creole seasoning
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- brown whole grain rice, cooked as directed
- Saute all chopped vegetables in skillet with a high heat cooking oil (I use safflower or grape seed) until tender.
- Add everything else (except rice), plus beans and 4 cups of water to a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice.