This is a cleaned up version of one of the husband’s favorite childhood dishes. I was worried it would suck since it uses brown rice and by now, you know I have a very love/HATE relationship with preparing rice, but it was really good. Enjoy!
- 1 whole chicken (boiled, grilled, whatever, or be lazy like I was and get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store already cooked)
- 1.5 cups brown rice (measured uncooked), cooked according to package directions (don’t be discouraged if you need a strainer…I do EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.)
- 2 T unsalted organic butter
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 chopped onion
- 14 stalks asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 batch of homemade cream of chicken soup
- 5-7 oz. cheddar cheese, grated (grate it yourself!)
- Remove chicken meat from chicken body, set aside.
- Saute onion in butter for a few minutes, add asparagus, put lid on pan and cook until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add vegetable/butter mixture to pot with the homemade cream of chicken soup, stir. Add in flour, milk, and sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Layer chicken, rice, sauce, and cheese in a large casserole dish (I only had two layers of each, and I used a deep round dish).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
I actually prepped this while the superheroes were napping and set it in the fridge until dinner time. I got it out of the fridge about 10 minutes before I preheated the oven and then baked it for about 35-40 minutes.