This is one of the husband’s absolute favorites. Because, you guessed it, it’s awesome. And I don’t mind because while it is delicious, it’s prep-able and freezable, so all you have to do is unthaw overnight, put it in the crockpot, and let it cook all day (I usually double the recipe and make 2 bags worth). It also makes leftovers that can be used in the next recipe. Boom. You’re welcome.
- 2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- jar of low sodium salsa
- 2 T taco seasoning (you can use store bought, if you want…but I don’t. Recipe as follows.)
- 1 serving cream of chicken soup (also, you can use store bought, but homemade tastes way better, it is way better for you, and it takes just a few minutes of prep time. Recipe as follows.)
- Freezer bag
- whole grain tortillas
- taco toppings: chopped tomatoes, a VERY SMALL portion of cheddar cheese, lettuce, jalapeños
- Place chicken and salsa in a freezer bag.
- Prepare taco seasoning:
- 2 T chile powder
- 1/2 t each garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/4 t cayenne
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1 t paprika
- 1 T cumin
- 2 t each sea salt and black pepper
Add 2 T of this mixture to the freezer bag.
3. Prepare cream of chicken soup:
- 1 1/2 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- dash of paprika
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1. Boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.
(This is two servings. So add half to each freezer bag if making two. If not…I don’t know…)
Freeze the bag. The night before you plan on making this meal, take the bag out and let thaw in the sink on a plate (mine tend to leak somehow). Pour into slow cooker thawed and cook on low 4-5 hours. Shred and make tacos. (If you forget to unthaw it or just are feeling frisky, peel the bag off of the frozen concoction and put the hunk of stuff into the slow cooker. Try to break it up slightly with butter knife (also, a good way to get out some frustration without, ya know, going to jail). Cook on high 8-9 hours. *If you aren’t making this into a freezer meal, just put it all in your slow cooker and turn it on. Duh.
IF there are leftovers, save in the fridge overnight. Or, if you are prepping for lunch to take to work with you, pull out the skillet now and make these clean southwest pancakes:
- leftover taco meat
- 1/2 cup each spelt flour (find it at Sprout’s or Kroger or in the flour/health food section of classier grocery stores. Not usually found at places where over 3/4 of the shoppers are wearing sweatpants/pj pants) and whole-grain yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 3 T unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- handful shredded cheese
- Mix dry ingredients, then add everything else. Mix well.
- Cook on skillet until inside is done, obviously.
- Top with jalapeños, salsa, chopped scallions, or Greek yogurt.